Black Bear Facts
- Habitat: forests, sub-alpine meadows, desert riparian areas
- Status: stable
- Diet: Though classified as a carnivore, black bears have an omnivorous diet including roots, berries, meat, fish, insects, larvae, grass, and other succulent plants.
- Weight: 350 lbs. for males, 250 lbs. for females
- Height: 3' at the shoulder, 5' - 7' standing
- Lifespan: As they have no known predators other than humans, in the wild bears can reach 20-25 years. In captivity, up to 30.
- Wild pop. in AZ: estimated to be 2,500
- In the SWCC Sanctuary: 5
- Interesting Facts
- Considered a "master dozer" among bear species, black bears hibernate for ~100 days (depending on the region in which they live), during which the cubs are born.
- Black bears aren't always black. They can be brown, blonde, red, even a bluish-grey.