- Habitat: Desert scrub, grasslands, foothills, forests - even populated cities.
- Status: Least concern
- Population Trend: Increasing
- Diet: True omnivores who eat a variety of foods including rodents, rabbits, insects, lizards, snakes, vegetables, and fruit
- Weight: 20 - 40 lbs.
- Height: 21" - 24" tall; 32" - 37" long
- Lifespan: 10 - 15 years in the wild; up to 20 years in human care
- Wild population in Arizona: ~200,000
- In the Southwest Wildlife Sanctuary: 7
- Interesting Facts:
- Coyotes can run up to 40 mph and jump 14 feet in the air.
- Coyotes are found in 49 states in the United States with Hawaii being the only state they do not inhabit.
- Coyotes can dig dens up to 10 feet deep.