Job title: Volunteer and Events Coordinator
Rate: Commensurate with experience
About Southwest Wildlife Conservation Center:
Southwest Wildlife rescues and rehabilitates wildlife that has been injured, displaced, and orphaned. Once rehabilitated, they are returned to the wild. Sanctuary is provided to animals that cannot be released back to the wild. Our mission is to save our wildlife, one life at a time.
The Volunteer and Events Coordinator is an integral member of the Education Department with the objective to support the mission of Southwest Wildlife Conservation Center by building an ever-increasing network of volunteer support for the organization. This position provides for the volunteer needs of the entire organization, while working closely with and under the guidance of the Education Department. The Volunteer and Events Coordinator is responsible for volunteer recruitment, orientation, training, supervision and evaluation in conjunction with appropriate SWCC staff. Development and coordination of events and projects is carried out with the assistance of the Director of Development. Fundraising and ‘friend-raising’ events are coordinated utilizing volunteer support.
This is a full-time exempt position that requires working a flexible schedule which can include nights, weekends and holidays.
The ideal candidate will be both a team player and able to work independently. The successful candidate must be reliable, flexible, have excellent organizational and time management skills, and the ability to multi-task on multiple projects with varying timelines. Clear communication skills, both verbal and written, are required, as are the attention to detail and the ability to collaborate with others.
Main Job Duties and Responsibilities:
Volunteer Coordinator Duties and Responsibilities:
· Recruits, interviews, screens and trains new volunteers for assistance in various departments in conjunction with department staff. Provides ongoing training and supervision of existing volunteers, ensuring they are given appropriate training, tools and curriculums to be successful and engaged in their positions.
· Works with volunteers individually and in small groups. Assesses experience, skills, limitations and desires of volunteers to successfully engage them in meaningful volunteer service and impart excitement and enthusiasm to visitors.
· Ensures the goals, policies and procedures of SWCC are met while striving to meet the needs and motivations of volunteers.
· Orients, trains, coaches, motivates, measures and evaluates volunteers in accordance with organizational policies, procedures and programs. Works with other SWCC staff to develop and update these policies and procedures and to ensure volunteer adherence to them.
· Conducts frequent volunteer orientation sessions and recruits for volunteers using multiple methods.
· Advises and trains staff in appropriate work, engagement and supervision of volunteers.
· Utilizes Volgistics to record, organize and schedule volunteers. Creates and maintains volunteer files to track applications, background checks, evaluations, and other pertinent information. Ensures coverage of key activities if volunteers call out.
· Acts as liaison between volunteers and associated department staff to ensure all understand details and expectations of roles.
· Assists with conflict resolution among guests, staff and volunteers.
· Plans and implements formal and informal volunteer recognition activities.
· Completes monthly reporting summaries of volunteer hours contributed by department.
Event Management Duties and Responsibilities:
· Coordinates the planning, implementation and logistical support for SWCC sponsored and friend-raising events, including the Donor Appreciation event.
· Ensures events fall within budget parameters and are revenue producing if expected to do so.
· Determines and schedules volunteer needs to support events and has information and training needed to succeed.
· Develops and/or refreshes events to ensure repeat attendees.
Gift Shop Management:
· Responsible for keeping gift shop stocked with appropriate inventory.
· Ensures volunteers understand gift shop procedures and payment methods.
Other duties as assigned.
2 years’ experience with volunteer management
2 years’ experience in event planning
Must have computer applications experience: MS Office Suite, volunteer management programs, and website
Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills
Must have a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation
- Must be in good health and able to walk on uneven surfaces, climb low fencing, bend, twist, and stretch
- Must be able to lift/carry/pull 50 lbs
- Must be able to stand on feet for long periods of time and sit at the desk for long periods
- Must be able to work in all types of weather conditions including dust, heat, and storms
- Requires contact with wild and domestic animals, including animal dander, blood/excrement, and hair
- Employees will encounter pests—insects, snakes and rodents
How to apply:
Send cover letter and resume or CV to:
Linda Moore, Assistant Director at firstname.lastname@example.org
Position remains open until filled.