GREAT HORNED OWL
Great Horned Owl Facts
- Habitat: Found throughout North America, including sub-tundra, woodlands, fields, rain forests, and both rural and urban areas.
- Status: Least concern
- Diet: These carnivorous birds eat rodents, rabbits, birds, snakes, lizards, even skunks!
- Weight: 2-5 lbs.
- Height: 18" - 25" body; wingspan 3.3' - 4.8'
- Lifespan: 5-15 years in the wild; 20-30 in captivity
- Interesting facts
- While humans have seven neck bones, owls possess 14. This allows them to turn their heads up to 270 degrees. Why do they need to turn their heads that far? Unlike humans, who can move their eyes side to side, and up and down, owls’ eyes are “fixed.” To look at something that isn't right in front of them, they must turn their whole head.